Hack Soda Vending Machines
Most modern vending machines have little computers inside. A tiny screen usually displays some information. Although relatively little known, pressing a certain combinations of buttons can control the settings. For instance, you can check the internal temperature, view the amount of money inside, empty change, or dump certain beverages. It will generally only work on new machines which is pictured on the right side.
Accessing the menu
Press the buttons     one after another. These can be arranged vertically or horizontally depending on the layout of the buttons. If one does not work, try the other. Once you key that combination into the machine, you will enter the “code debug menu.” It should display the word “ERROR” on the screen.
Navigating the system
Once inside the buttons become controls for navigating the menu system.
- Button  – Back/Exit
- Button  – Down
- Button  – Up
- Button  – Select
You should now be able to scroll through the available settings.
Understanding the settings
Here are the descriptions of some of the settings you may run into:
- Cash – the amount of money inside the machine and how much each drink made.
- Sale – shows how many drinks were sold and from which slots.
- Ver – the version number of the machine’s firmware.
- Error – there are various error codes:
- ColJ – column jammed
- VEnd – vending mechanism
- Door – door switch
- Sels – selection switch
- Char – charge error
- Acce – acceptor errors
- Sts – space to sales.
- bVal – bill validators
- Rtn – exits back to normal menus.
Pressing the coin return or back button also exits out of the setting menus. Quick Tip: holding a coin at the tip of the slot will display the current temperature inside.
Although access to those settings is usually enabled, it is sometimes locked down by the owner or maintenance. If you can get into the menus, here are a few things you can do:
- CPO – Coin payment mode dumps coins out of the machine. You can even specific the type of coins (e.g. quarter, dime, penny) and the amount you wanted.
- tvFL – Tube fill mode lets you replenish the machine with coins.
- PASS – Change the default password from 4231 to something new.
- PrlC – Change the price of a drink! (One cent anyone?)
- StOS – Reorder what each button refers to. (Make Coke button drop a Sprite)
- COn – Deeper machine configuration settings.
- TIME – Change the time value.
- LANG – Switch the language to something else.