You will find countless memes of Microsoft browser Internet Explorer, portrayed as one of the worst browser ever. One of the most popular meme is showing how important Internet Explorer is. With Internet explorer we could never be able to download Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. However, it is quite true that some of these memes were precisely accurate. But do they stand correct today? I don’t think so. It wouldn’t be exaggerating if we were to say that Microsoft has put everything in Internet Explorer 11 to compete with far more advanced browsers, Chrome & Firefox.
In the latest attempt with Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft has introduced various new features in the browser, which were lacking previously.
In this article we will discuss why there is a need to change the perception about internet explorer 11. It is time we welcome it in the front seat main seat browsers.
Speed Of Internet Explorer 11
Internet Explorer 11 also has better benchmark score than it’s competitors. IE 11 scored 128.8ms on Webkit Sunspider, 11050 on Google V8, on MS 2,000 fish fps benchmark score, it scored 15.
With all these new changes IE 11 loads, open & close faster than other internet browsers.
Must Read: Yahoo Acquires Social Browser RockMelt
Html5 & Element support in Internet Explorer 11
There is an old joke: “How to know if a website is built on HTML5? Simple, run it on internet explorer, if it doesn’t load then it is HTML5.”
But as I said, it is an old joke. Internet Explorer 11 has full support for HTML5 based web pages. When tested with beta.html5test.com, Internet Explorer 11 got a rating of 366 out of 555 points. Although it is not as good as google chrome (499/555) or Mozilla firefox (440/555), but it is acceptable as it only affects minor html5 issues. Previous IE versions couldn’t even cross 300 points.
Microsoft has also removed the prefixes from the HTML5 Pointer Events API. That means the API will no longer need an Internet Explorer-specific flag to work in non-Internet Explorer browsers.
Internet Explorer 11 introduced support for WebGL, a set of APIs exposed through the canvas element for rendering interactive 3-D and 2-D graphics.
Internet Explorer 11 Memory Usage
According to sitepoint, with five tabs opened to the same sites, the following memory is used:
- Internet Explorer 11 uses 168Mb
- Mozilla Firefox 26 used 225Mb
- Google Chrome 30 uses 401Mb
It is quite efficient & comes in handy when you are low in ram. Due to the nature of windows Operating system it might be that the operating system understands the codes of IE 11 much better than the other browsers. Google Chrome use a lot of memory which is bad for your laptop battery.
Add-ons Support for Internet Explorer 11
This is the area where they need to work the most. IE doesn’t have many add-ons to compare with even Apple Safari browser. The range of add-ons is very limited. If you wish to download any add-ons, visit the IE Gallary. There are very few developers working on add-ons for Internet Explorer browsers.
Internet Explorer 11 Security & Privacy
Some of the security and privacy features added in the IE 11 are:
- Internet Explorer 11 has support for the latest draft of the W3C’s Do Not Track (DNT) specification.
- Internet Explorer 11 provides SPDY support.
__proto__property are also available in the Internet Explorer 11.
- DOM mutation observers are also present.
- It can send secure data without using SSL.
- It encrypts media (DRM) support.
Internet Explorer System Requirements
- A Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 PC or Windows 7.
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster.
- Processing: support for PAE, NX, and SSE2.
- RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit)/ 2 GB (64-bit).
- Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit).
- Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.
How Microsoft can Make Internet Explorer Better?
Even though Internet Explorer is a great effort by Microsoft, but it will take much more to take the crown from chrome & firefox. There are many stuffs that still lack from IE11.
Here are a couple of things that can make Internet Explorer much better:
- Currently available only on Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. It must reach to the larger crowd.
- There is systematic release schedule for internet explorer. Microsoft should come up with a quarterly or custom time period to release stable versions of Internet Explorer browsers.
- This one is hurting the most. Add-ons. There are not many add-ons in Internet Explorer’s pocket. In order to make their browser popular, they must increase their add-ons gallery.
- In the case of a surprise shutdown, IE11 doesn’t saves your session. and when you start back internet explorer, it will open a blank page. This feature is quite useful in Firefox and Chrome.
- Internet Explorer 11 needs to tweak their html5 support.
Author: Naveen Thakur